Today, Friday, March 27, the federal government announced the following:
- A 75 per cent wage subsidy for qualifying businesses, for up to 3 months, retroactive to March 15, 2020.
- New loan programs for businesses, including interest-free loans of up to $40,000 for small businesses and not-for-profits.
- Deferral of GST/HST remittances and customs duty payments to June 30, 2020.
- Deferral of customs duty and sales tax for importers on payment deadlines for statements of accounts for March, April, and May to June 30, 2020.
- Additional measures from CRA for individuals and businesses
- Further details on these new measures are expected by Monday, March 30.
- The Chamber will host a webinar on Monday, March 30, at 2 PM with MP Sean Casey and MP Sean Fraser to discuss these initiatives and other federal supports for businesses during the COVID-19 crisis. To register, click here.
Today, the provincial government announced:
- Non-essential businesses will remain closed indefinitely as the situation continues to be re-evaluated on a regular basis.
- The eligibility of the Employee Gift Card Program has been expanded to include any Islander laid off between March 13-31, 2020, regardless of their hourly wage (instead of being only for those making less than $25/hr as originally announced).
- Expansion of the PEI Broadband Fund to support equipment and installation of mi-fi units and wi-fi signal boosters for businesses and the self-employed.
- On Wednesday, we launched the COVID-19 Business Impact Survey. We ask you to please take a few minutes to tell us about your experience since COVID-19 has hit our community.
- Through these challenging times, we have witnessed the kindness and generosity of our business community shine through. To celebrate this, we launched the #BrightSideOfBusiness webpage, which showcases the innovative and creative ways businesses are supporting fellow Islanders.
- We’ve introduced the Chamber Live webinar series, starting Monday, March 30. Stay tuned for more webinars to come.
- A Chamber resources page that is updated daily.
- Regular member updates as new information for business become available.
- Relevant links on Chamber Facebook and Twitter pages.
Dawn Binns, President
Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce